What Makes My Heart Smile

  • my education
  • graphic tees that say interesting things
  • sundresses
  • shoes
  • forehead kisses
  • hearing someone say i love you
  • phone convos that last until the wee hours of the morning
  • good conversations
  • chai tea
  • my notebook & pen
  • being still
  • roller coasters
  • warm summer starry-skied nights
  • a really good book
  • long, hot showers
  • love
  • GOD
  • boyfriend
  • friends
  • family

Friday, January 21, 2011

Ready...

i have been transitioning from relaxed to natural hair for about a year and a half. just like the natural hair websites predicted, i have become frustrated with the two different textures that have presented themselves to me. growing towards the ends of my hair are the nicely straight ends. very polite in nature, they remain intact, no matter how much water i put towards them, no matter how much i twist them with my fingers. they let me know, "we prefer the easy path...we're the least resistant, honey." i've been accepting of it.

i have always had an attachment to my hair, much like i've had an attachment to control of my life. i've had a fear of the unknown, so if i controlled things, then i would have nothing to be fear. i've always been known as the girl with the long hair. i've always had long, perfectly straightened and relaxed hair. the mention of me cutting my hair resulted in a male classmate of mine to respond that he was worried that i wouldn't be as attractive with shorter hair. i've cut my hair before, but the shortest it's been has been grazing my shoulders. that was comfortable for me. and again, it's always been straight. having hair that comes to my shoulders allowed me to hide behind my hair if i wanted to (which most of the time, i do).

my sophomore and current junior years of college have been filled with lessons and experiences that i am learning to appreciate. i have changed in so many ways, and i am learning to embrace and love the new Bri. i am no longer comfortable with the straight hair. i desire more.

i don't know when it happened, but natural hair has always been a secret goal of mine. i've had a perm since i was about 5, so i've only known relaxed hair--a decision that was not made for me. my second attempt at growing out my relaxed hair has so far been a success. i received my last relaxer in July of 2009, and haven't looked back.

but within the last few months, something inside of me has wanted to steer away from the comfortable flat-ironed style that i've been accustomed to. i've been fascinated with the way that my "new growth" (the hair that is not relaxed) curls up in spite of the perfectly straight hair. i absolutely love it.

i've been twisting my hair to further the curl definition, and i am learning my hair for the first time. i never know how it will look, and i am (for the most part) pleasantly surprised with how it ends up turning out. it is learning me and i am learning it.

i am excited about these changes. i am ready to say bye to the permed ends of my hair. i am ready to be uncomfortable. i am ready to accept the change. i am ready to embrace the young woman that i am becoming.

i am ready to be naturally me. Pics coming soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment